The Ministry to the Sick is a pastoral ministry of caring for those people hospitalized, in nursing homes, or confined to private homes. This ministry is provided by trained and certified lay men and women, ordained deacons, vowed religious sisters and brothers, and priests within the Diocese of Orlando.
To bring the Eucharist to sick parishioners at home, at the hospital or at the nursing home.
How to Join
- Meet and interview with the pastor
- Register for EMHC Ministry at the parish office
- Take the Extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist class – Required by the Diocese
- Take the Minister of the Sick class – Required by the Diocese
About Our Ministers to the Sick
Ministers are trained and formed to conduct a pastoral visit with time to listen and pray about the concerns of the sick or shut-in person and to share Eucharist with them. Ministry to the Sick is a service offered to people at vulnerable and painful times in their lives. The person who service the sick and shut-in needs to have specific qualities and gifts, such as:
- A listening presence
- Compassion and empathy
- A non-judgmental attitude
- Commitment and follow-through
- Gentleness of manner
- Commitment to continuous training and spiritual development
We hope that you will consider joining this ministry to help those in need.