Sacristans are the team captains among the lay ministers who serve at Mass.
- Make sure that the Eucharist is prepared in accordance with the 'Ordo', the calendar detailing the forms of Mass and other services to be followed for each day in the liturgical year.
- Lay out the vestments and anything else needed for the celebration, such as cruets, chalices, ciboria, linens, oils, processional crosses, candles and torches.
- Prepare the items needed to celebrate Mass. There should be a ready supply of fresh hosts and of duly authorized wine, sufficient clean purificators, corporals, hand towels, incense and coals.
- Make sure that the sanctuary lamp has sufficient oil, that the altar cloths are changed regularly, and that the holy water stoups are clean and replenished frequently.
- Work with the Linen ministers to make sure that altar linens are washed according to the indications of the missal and that the water for the first wash is poured down the sacrarium or to the earth. The sacristan also takes care of burning old linens and other objects that are no longer suitable for liturgical use.
- The pastor may also decide to entrust other responsibilities to the sacristan. This might include maintaining the practical dealings with external agents such as funeral directors and photographers so that proper decorum is maintained at all times.
In order to carry out these duties, the sacristan needs to have a working knowledge of the content and norms of the principal liturgical books and an understanding of the intricacies of the liturgical calendar.
St. Isaac sacristans are long standing liturgical ministries whom our parish pastor personally selects and trains.
Linen Ministry Contact Info
St Isaac Calendar
|Sat May 11 @19:00 - 12:30AM|
2013 Mother's Day Dance